Friday, May 10, 2013

10 Movie Directors To Look Out For


My list of a few upcoming directors whose films I have thoroughly enjoyed thus far and I anticipate their future releases.


1. Steve McQueen (III)
Notable works: Shame (2011), Hunger (2008)
I'm definitely anticipating Twelve Years A Slave later this year. 


2. Derek Cianfrance
Notable works: Blue Valentine (2010)
I saw The Place Beyond the Pines recently; Though not perfect, still an enjoyable film.


3. Shane Carruth
Notable works: Primer (2003)
His latest film Upstream Color has solidified him as respectable upcoming talent who dares to be different.


4. Behn Zeitlin
Notable works: Beasts of The Southern Wild (2012)
Nominated for both best picture and best director on his first try, Zeitlin is one to look out for.


5. Rupert Wyatt
Notable works: Rise of The Planet of the Apes (2011)
His Planet of The Apes prequel was impressive. His previous film The Escapist is also a unique fun prison drama.


6. Rian Johnson
Notable works: Brick (2006), The Brother's Bloom (2008), Looper (2012)
I consider all his films enjoyable and underrated.


7. Jonathan Levine
Notable works: 50/50 (2011), Warm Bodies (2013)
I haven't seen his first two films yet but Warm Bodies and 50/50 were sure hits with me.


8. Jeff Nichols
Notable works: Take Shelter (2011), Shotgun Stories (2007)
Take Shelter is one of my favorite movies ever and I'm definitely anticipating his new film - Mud. 


9. Martin McDonagh
Notable works: In Bruges (2008), Seven Psychopaths (2012)
So far, he has created enjoyable dark comedies and I truly anticipate his future releases.


10. Dee Rees
Notable works: Pariah (2011)
I'm hoping Rees can bring more life to black cinema.


No comments:

Post a Comment